The mission of Accion, with headquarters in San Diego, as a non-profit organization is to create economic opportunity for primarily low-to-moderate income start-up and existing business owners who lack access to traditional credit. Through business loans ranging from $300 to $100,000 and support services, Accion strengthens the roots of emerging entrepreneurs and helps them to thrive in their communities, creating social and economic change. Visit https://us.accion.org/your-accion/location/san-diego for more information.
The Loan Underwriter works as part of the lending team to meet loan production goals by analyzing new loan applications to assess credit risk, alignment with the organization’s mission and feasibility of the business endeavor. The Loan Underwriter also provides technical assistance by giving feedback to loan applicants on ways to strengthen credit, improve financial reporting and identify threats and opportunities in their business plan. This is a full-time (40hrs/week) temporary position with potential for hire.
- Underwrite, analyze and develop credit memos and risk assessments on completed loan packets to either approve or deny credit requests
- Make recommendations on loan amounts based on client risk
- Participate and present client business during loan review by credit committee and guarantee programs
- Negotiate and manage third party guarantee program relationships for approval of loans to ensure loan goals are met
- Train Junior Underwriters and provide mentorship on loan related issues
- Provide perspective loan clients with information regarding the loan program and mentor them with technical assistance and business/finance training
- Evaluate client needs based off financial and business analysis and provide resources as appropriate
- Work with Portfolio Quality & Compliance Officer to assist in managing payment delinquencies, tracking and collection of client loan payments.
- Work with Portfolio Service Manager to address client portfolio issues and answer questions regarding client accounts or refer to other departments
- Conduct site and collateral inspection at prospective client businesses to evaluate the business viability and marketability and negotiate loan terms with clients
- Assist in the development and implementing of training resources for new members of Accion’s team as necessary
- Represent Accion in the community by attending business events and performing presentations as necessary
- Conduct other duties as necessary to meet goals of organization
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years of lending, underwriting and/or related business/finance professional experience
- Extraordinary communication skills, written and oral
- Strong financial, quantitative and computer skills
- Strong organizational and time management abilities
- High-level of initiative and motivation
- Team player
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and team members simultaneously
- Detail oriented
- Bilingual strongly preferred (English/Spanish)
Must have own transportation as local travel required and some regional travel may be required occasionally
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear.
- The employee occasionally is required to stand; walk; and reach with hands and arms.
- Work is generally performed in an office setting with a moderate noise level, although this position is currently remote.
- The Accion team is a passionate and professional group that loves supporting local small businesses to make their dreams and economic stability grow!
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Accion is an equal opportunity employer.