The mission of Accion, with headquarters in San Diego, as a non‐profit organization is to create economic opportunity for primarily low‐to‐moderate income start‐up and existing business owners who lack access to traditional credit. Through business loans ranging from $300 to $100,000 and support services, Accion strengthens the roots of emerging entrepreneurs and helps them to thrive in their communities, creating social and economic change. Visit https://us.accion.org/region/southern-california/ for more information.
The Loan Underwriter works as part of the lending team to meet loan production goals by analyzing new loan applications to assess credit risk, alignment with the organization’s mission and feasibility of the business endeavor. The Loan Underwriter also provides technical assistance by giving feedback to loan applicants on ways to strengthen credit, improve financial reporting and identify threats and opportunities in their business plan.
This is a temporary position with the potential for permanent hire.
- Underwrite, analyze and prepare credit memos on completed loan packets to either approve or deny credit requests
- Make recommendations on loan amounts based on client risk
- Participate and present client business during loan review by credit committee and guarantee programs
- Work on more complex and loan requests regardless of loan amount
- Provide perspective loan clients with information regarding the loan program
- Identify client needs and provide resources as appropriate
- Conduct site and collateral inspection visits at prospective client businesses as necessary
- Manage lending projects by working with the Chief Credit Officer and Underwriting Manager
- Conduct other duties as necessary to meet goals of organization
- Bachelor’s degree and/or related business experience
- 3‐5 years of lending, underwriting and/or related business/finance experience
- Extraordinary communication skills, written and oral
- Strong financial, quantitative and computer skills
- Strong organizational and time management abilities
- High‐level of initiative and motivation
- Team player
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and team members Simultaneously
- Detail oriented
- Bilingual strongly preferred (English/Spanish)
- Must have ability to work some irregular hours
- Must have own transportation
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear.
- The employee occasionally is required to stand; walk; and reach with hands and arms.
- Work is generally performed in an office setting with a moderate noise level, although currently remote
- The Accion team is a passionate and professional group that loves supporting local small businesses to make their dreams and economic stability grow!
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . Due to the number of resumes received we may not be able to respond to every candidate, but qualified candidates will be contacted to schedule next steps.
Accion is an equal opportunity employer.