Accion (us.accion.org) is a nationwide nonprofit community lender dedicated to helping entrepreneurs generate income, build assets, create jobs and achieve financial success through business ownership. Our network serves small businesses in communities across the U.S. and is made up of four certified Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) and a U.S. Network office. Globally, for more than 50 years Accion has helped over 90 partners serve the financial needs of tens of millions of people in 40 countries.
Financial Coach Position:
The Financial Coach is a salaried, exempt position that reports to the Director of Coaching and Connections. The Financial Coach is responsible for assisting individuals and entrepreneurs on the West Side of Chicago in the creation of plans focused on achievable financial goals for themselves and on supporting their business’ stability, growth, and/or recovery.
This position is funded and supported by a partnership between Accion, Garfield Park Community Council, LISC Chicago, The Coleman Foundation, West Side Forward, and West Side United. These organizations have come together as small business support organizations to work collectively toward financial stability for business owners they regularly serve and whose livelihoods have been devastated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Collaborate with clients through one-on-one coaching sessions to establish achievable short and long term financial goals
- Support clients in the development of action plans to enable them to meet those financial goals
- Collaborate with partners serving residents and entrepreneurs on the West Side of Chicago to provide small business support services, which may include classes, workshops, webinars, etc.
- Follow internal and external best practices for personal and business financial coaching
- Track and report program outputs
- Record baseline financial assessment to monitor client’s gains and/or losses and client’s participation throughout the program
- Collaborate with staff at partnering organizations to ensure program deliverables are tracked, reports are timely and program remains up-to-date; incorporate new trainings and learnings in existing programs as appropriate
- Research, identify, and incorporate new partners and areas of growth for the program
Accion requires its staff to:
- Solve problems creatively
- Manage time efficiently
- Attend to details meticulously
- Communicate effectively in writing and verbally in one-on-one, group settings both in person and in remote learning environments
- Collaborate flexibly with colleagues in a diverse and changing environment
- Believe strongly in Accion’s mission and because of the collaborative aspect of this role, in the mission of the partnership organizations
The Financial Coach should have:
- Strong understanding of credit, including how to build personal credit
- Experience owning and operating a small business, as lender and/or investor, and/or experience providing technical assistance, coaching, or professional services to small businesses
- Knowledge of tools and technology available to support financial coaching
- Knowledge of Chicago’s West Side, relationships within economic development and social service organizations on the West Side, and experience working with small nonprofit organizations
- The flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
How to Apply:
Email Jobs@accionchicago.org with a resume and cover letter. Please include the position title in the subject line.