Accion (us.accion.org) is a nationwide nonprofit community lender dedicated to helping entrepreneurs generate income, build assets, create jobs and achieve financial success through business ownership. Our network serves small businesses in communities across the U.S. and is made up of four certified Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) and a U.S. Network office. Globally, for more than 50 years Accion has helped over 90 partners serve the financial needs of tens of millions of people in 40 countries.
Accion Serving Illinois and Indiana is looking for a Director of Community Lending to join our team in Chicago, IL.
Position: Director of Community Lending:
The Director of Community Lending is a salaried, exempt position that reports to the CEO. The Director oversees Micro and Small Business Lending and is responsible for the capital the organization offers to entrepreneurs.
- Find more neighborhood entrepreneurs to serve
- Fund at least the budgeted number of loans per month
- Contribute to a net surplus each year
- Develop high-quality staff on the community lending team that consistently exceed performance targets
- Promote a culture of client service excellence, continuous learning, and teamwork
- Identify improvements in how we can better serve entrepreneurs through learning from industry trends and internal observations
- Design, test, and implement new products, services and sales techniques, and improve or discontinue those offerings or practices over time
- Approve loans within the role’s credit authority, working with Community Lenders to mitigate portfolio risk as appropriate
- Resolve customer issues that have been escalated by Managers of Community Lending, balancing tensions between client expectations and organizational policies
- Articulate and then consistently deliver clear messages for who we serve, the value we provide, and how we deliver that value effectively
- Nurture trusted relationships with entrepreneurs, community leaders, financial institutions, referral partners, other service providers
- Build awareness of how Accion works with partners to help entrepreneurs grow by initiating meetings with executives at banks and small business community organizations and expanding that outreach over time
- Introduce partners and clients to the Director of Coaching and Connections to increase our ability to serve our clients through one-on-one mentoring, to explore opportunities to increase revenues or reduce expenses through new offerings, or to build additional relationships
- Measure the value we provide entrepreneurs effectively by ensuring that staff carefully capture key data
- Develop and then share client stories and data with the Development and Communications teams to support fundraising and messaging
- Perform other duties flexibly and creatively as needs arise
Accion requires its staff to:
- Solve problems creatively
- Manage time efficiently
- Attend to details meticulously
- Communicate effectively in writing and verbally
- Collaborate flexibly with colleagues in a diverse and changing environment
- Believe strongly in Accion’s mission
The Director should have experience in:
- Nonprofit leadership
- Community development
- Small business lending
How to Apply:
Email Jobs@accionchicago.org with a resume and cover letter.